Logging inPlease log in before you edit any pages. To do this
- click on [Preferences] from the links at the bottom of any page on the site;
- enter a username and set your password at the top;
- click 'Save' at the bottom of the page. That's it.
If you have your browser set to accept cookies, you will be logged in automatically whenever you visit the site from the same computer (if you don't know what cookies are, chances are you're set to accept them!).
To login from other computers, first make a note of the User ID number that has been assigned to you, and then enter it plus your password at this [login page].
Editing a pageYou can change any page by
- going to the page and clicking the link 'Edit text of this page' which should appear in blue at the bottom of the page (except on the read-only pages, listed below);
- please leave any lines at the bottom of each page with text in <angled brackets> unchanged, as they control the navigation between the song pages;
- type new text, or change existing text, in any part of the page;
- when you're done, write a short summary of the change in the box marked 'Summary' near the bottom of the page, and then
- click 'Save.'
You should then see the new version of the page, including your changes.
If you want to add formatting or links to the text, please read the [text formatting rules] for guidance. The documentation for this relatively new software isn't great for non-technical users — sorry — but if you're stuck with getting the format you want, try to leave notes to describe what you want and hopefully someone will visit the page again soon and tidy up the formatting the way you want.
Read-only pagesThese are the pages you cannot edit and why:
- 69 Love Songs — the home page — this page provides links and information critical to understanding how the site works and what it's about — it's also the page most likely to be 'attacked' by unscrupulous people wanting to replace this information with links to gambling and porn sites — apologies for spoiling that fun;
- the navigation pages — Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3, All songs (alphabetical) — also important to the basic functioning of the site, and unlikely to need editing since no change to the album tracklist is expected;
- copyright policy — it this page were editable, it would not serve any purpose as a policy.
Creating a new pageThis is where things start to get more tricky. Let's assume you want to create one new page that is linked to from an existing page (if you want to do anything more complex than this, the best thing to do is ask DavidJennings first). This is how you'd do it:
- Go to the existing page, from where you want to add the link to the new page;
- Click the link 'Edit text of this page' which should appear in red at the bottom of the page;
- Think of a title for the page (it can include spaces, periods, commas, dash/minus, curved brackets and apostrophes) and include this title in the edits you make, inside double square brackets, like this —
[[New page title]](see [more details]);
- Click 'Save': you should now see the page with your new page title, followed by a '?';
- Click the '?': this will take you to the edit screen for the new page you just created;
- Enter the text for the new page and click 'Save'
Editorial controlDavidJennings is administrator of the site. If you want to suggest changes to any of the read-only pages, please [send a message].
Otherwise anyone can edit and re-edit anyone else's text.
The only exception is that attempts to incite hatred and prejudice will be removed, and anyone making them may be barred from making further changes.
Policy is subject to change without notice if the proposed anarchy doesn't work. This is not a democracy.